Brno, pravoslavný chrám sv. Václava
The church of St. Wenceslas is situated in Brno centre, at the foot of Spilberk Castle. It is surrounded by one of the biggest Brno parks. The church is the most important centre of Orthodox Faith in Brno. It belongs to urban conservation area and it is the National Historic Landmark too. The church draws attention even from a distance with its tower. The Russian-style tower cupola was covered with gold leaf in 2003.
Vladimír Stavíček constructed the building according to the design of Petr Levický, the architect. The church was built from 1930 to 1931. In the church building, Peter Levický linked principles of modern architecture together with traditional Orthodox composition rules. The church used to be decorated by stained glass windows, but they were destroyed completely during the 2nd World War. The main part of the interior is an iconostasis. It consists of a base line of red stone slabs supporting eight green stone columns. These columns make support to another line of stone slabs. The icons placed between the columns were painted by Olga Dyachenko, the academic painter, and they date back to the time when the church was built. You can find icons of St. Wenceslas, St. Ludmila, Archangel Gabriel, Archangel Michael, Mary – Mother of God and Christ – the Saviour there. The area above the royal door contains a circular icon of the Last Supper. The church is known for its excellent acoustics.
Next to the church, there is also a bell tower. It was designed in 1991 by an architect Lubor Lacina.
On The church’s front façade, there is a memorial plaque dedicated to Bishop Gorazd and two church elders, Jan Sonnevend and Jan Charbula. They were all executed in 1942 for hiding the people who assassinated Reinhard Heydrich, a German Nazi official.
Distance from the object