Bzenec, kostel sv. Jana Křtitele
The first proof of the existence of a parish church in Bzenec is from 1235. The original church had been dedicated to All Saints. It used to stand on the place of today´s church. The church of All Saints became insufficient for the parish in 1695. The local parson Horg asked the count Jiří Kryštov Proskovský for solving this situation. The count had a new church built. The foundation stone of the new church was laid in 1696. The church was finished in 1702. It is 13 meters wide and 45 meters long. Its barrel vault is 12 meters high.
The church in Bzenec suffered from natural disasters and wars during its long history.
Immediately after The Second World War, the interior of the church was enriched for items from The Chapel of St. Florian. This chapel had been demolished by leaving German army at the end of the War.
A big reconstruction of the church started in 2008. The project was promoted by grants from Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway, in the system of EHP Funds. Now, the town Bzenec is proud of the repaired church, an example of Early Baroque architecture art.
Distance from the object
Railway station1,2 km (Bzenec)
Bus stop300 m